Thursday, May 6, 2010

Making of a card game : the seed


I have written enough about books for now, so let's make something.

I would like to start with a simple and liberating truth : to be a game designer is to make game. So make what you'd like to play and make your friends play it!

Lesson given, now let investigate what I'm doing.

First don't take any of my written experience as a truth. I'm just like you, experiencing, learning and improving trough making game.

How did I start to make a card game ?

I had an idea : "How could I give to my player an experience close to a coop tactical RPG game".

How to make a game with that ?

You thought that an idea could be enough to make a game, didn't you ? Let be honest, having an idea is easy, the real challenge is to make it real. We will try that now.

So to make a game with my idea I will analyze it. This will help myself finding the core experiences I'd like to give to my player.

At this stage I hope you are one of your futur player. If not it will be very hard to continue the process of making your game.

What experiences are hiding themselves behind : "How could I give to my player an experience close to a coop tactical RPG game".

For me, as my first player, here are the things I enjoy in a coop tactical RPG game :
- Create my character. (RPG)
- Equip my character. (RPG)
- Tactically interact with my teammates to beat the challenges. (Coop & Tactical)

Now we have more matter to create the game.

As you understood it, these points will be the sources and guardians of the game rules and contents.
This will be the subject of a next post. And I hope you will not wait it to start making your own game.

What did I learn starting doing my card game :
  • Stop having ideas, make them real instead !
  • Try to express your idea in one clear sentence.
  • Analyze your idea, find why she's so appealing to you. This will give you pillars on which creating your game.

I hope I had written my post in an understandable and usable way. So let me know if I could do anything better.

No comments:

Post a Comment