Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Avatar Hypocrisy


Watching the Avatar Bluray this weekend I remembered one thought I had when I left the theater a few months before.

Discussing the strength of Avatar : rhythm, characters, special effects... Could be a very long essay and maybe I'd try later. But I would like to share my point of view about one of the message the movie seems willing to share : "Protect and live with mother earth".

My concern isn't the message itself but the way it have been communicated through the movie.
Avatar show us beautiful landscapes, strong colors, strange animals, tasteful fruits, great dangers, etc. All these things which nature on earth already give us.
In fact having in mind this likeness between the Avatar's world and the real world helps the message to have a much stronger impact on the spectators (if it could).

But are you drugged enough by the Avatar movie to think that living without great pieces of technology as we are use to this days is OK ? And do you think that nature can provide us with everything we always needed ?
I hope you don't. Anyway if you do I have a tip about why you could think so. Especially if you just saw Avatar recently.

Here's my tip : the Pandora's environment give you an awesome life. And compared to what Earth's environment as to offer, there's no match.

There is a small list of services given by Pandora's Environment Megacorp :
  • Free ride : Take a horse-like motorcycle and fly away with your private "jet-sky". No need for license or assurance.
  • Free light : Just walk around or tap some plants and you'll light up the darkness.
  • Natural building : A big tree will be your home and there's also magic bed leafs.
  • Internet substitute : Search for an intriguing place with fluorescent threes, then connect and listen to your people's memories.
I'm sure there is a lot more examples to be found showing the great advantages offered by Pandora's ecosystem. And I'm also quite convinced that with a so generous nature on Earth human being had hardly create so many (environment destructive) technologies as we have.

I hope you get my point. Of course we need to change some of our bad habits in order to keep living well on earth. But trying to change our mind showing us an alien nature which satisfied most of our modern needs seemed hypocrite to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment