Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Change by Design


One more book, and this one is written by Tim Brown, CEO and president of IDEO a global design consultancy as they describe themselves.

The central subject of Change by Design is Design Thinking. But what is this ?
Put in a very understandable way : Design Thinking is applying Design methods to any subject.

What I liked while reading this book was the many examples I was given. This way I could understand how widely Design Thinking could be applied : entertainment, medicine, marketing, services...
And ultimately Design Thinking is what IDEO sells to his customers.

It could be a bit overwhelming but I'm sure you knew it before I wrote it here. Anyway this book gives you some tools and more importantly the excuses to try Design Thinking in your work and everyday life.

And now some lines about three things I will remember about it  :
  • Desirability, Feasibility, Viability : This three words could help you get an insight on your product, service, or anything else you want to design. If one of these words is excluded from your design, there is a problem. Desirability : Anyone want what you are designing ? Feasibility : Can you do it, make it, set it up ? Viability : Can you produce it as you want to and earning money ?
  • Inspiration, Ideation, Implementation : Three more words, for one problem solving process. Inspiration : Find the problem. Ideation : Find the solutions. Implementation : Apply the solutions. And if anything goes wrong in this process, iterate !
  • Empathy, Prototype, Story : Three last words, not quiet related, but grouping them helps to remember. This three words can also be put together because they could be forget in the middle of the designing process. Empathy : Design with your customer in mind, live with them, understand their needs, think as they think. Prototype : I'm sure you're convinced you're prototyping enough but as I understood i,t enough is not enough. Start early and dirty ! Story : Human being is driven by storytelling, to share knowledge, experiences, etc. So don't be shy and use story to design your product, your marketing strategy... and through story build experience.
Well I'm not sure how to conclude but let's say something true. I did not design this reading experience following the advices this book gave me. And I'm quite sure you'd have enjoy it a lot more If I had take the time to design this experience using Design Thinking approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment